Lyme disease, science, and society: Camp Other

Sunday, November 6, 2011

2 Admin Update: Lyme Disease Awareness and Outreach

There are a lot of ways to spread support for Lyme disease awareness. Some people make web sites, some people make Lyme disease related clothing, some people make bracelets and other jewelry, and then others make the popular Lyme disease support ribbons. Some people hold fundraisers like Lyme walks or benefits at local bars.

Here in the virtual world, we can't really give each other tangible items to wear and hold, but we can make representations of them.

I've been searching far and wide to find something that would represent my strong desire for support for more Lyme disease research, and perhaps my search-fu is broken, but I couldn't find anything suitable after googling "Lyme disease support ribbon" and "research".

So I initially found a commercial support ribbon generator and played with it... Netting this result:



And I realized that wasn't really working for me.

So I've been working on creating my own awareness and support badge, and here is my rough draft:



What do you think?

It's only a rough draft, mind you, and will need to be rescaled.



2 comments:

  1. I like it. The microscope signifies research, while the puzzle pieces represent a partially-solved puzzle in which there are still considerable gaps. A number of questions still need to be answered and that knowledge will then need to be put into some sort of context that will hopefully and ultimately translate into better care for patients.

    Improvements in the prevention, detection and treatment of tick-borne illnesses are most definitely needed -- and they all require further research.

    I'm guessing that the background represents both spirochetes and/or other structures possibly seen under a microscope, however I may be reading too much into this. I'm probably also missing some of the symbolism.

    My only concern is that your blog address requires tilting one's head slightly to read it, and could be therefore be overlooked. Then again, it may pique a person's curiosity, and therefore stick in their mind even more.

    Overall, I like your idea and design very much and thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita,

    Welcome back! Been a while, wondered what you were up to lately. Thanks for stopping by.

    Thanks for the feedback on the badge. I spent some time looking through google images trying to find imagery that would work together and it took a while. The ribbon is pretty ordinary and I want something that conveys the need for research. I thought about putting different field names like immunology, microbiology, molecular biology, genetics, and so on, around the perimeter. Not sure that will work, though, once it's been rescaled. Probably too wordy.

    The background behind the microscope is actually part of a microscopic image of Bb, it is actually grayscale but when you use it as a layer and use the right filter on it, it looks like it's in color.

    I'm contemplating changing a few things, including rounding the corners of the black background and making one of the puzzle pieces green... Later on I might mess with it, when I'm actually at my computer & not commenting remotely.

    ReplyDelete

You can use <b>bold</b>, <i>italics</i>, and <a href="url">link</a> for links.

The Camp Other Song Of The Month


Why is this posted? Just for fun!

Get this widget

Lyme Disease

Borrelia

Bacteria

Microbiology

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...